The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Friday November 19, 2010 at 22:34
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
For anyone interested in checking it out there is an updated version of my PackAndGo file available for download via the first post of this thread. Screenshots in that post have been updated throughout as well. Spent some time over the past couple days enhancing my DVD Juke activity, so that you could select a letter from the Index page without having to touch the screen. Using the directional pad/scroll wheel and OK hard button you are now able to select any given letter on-screen. Once on the DVD cover image pages you are then able to select a given DVD cover using the same method though operation via the scroll wheel can be quite eratic at times. (I far prefer using the directional pad while on the main DVD cover image pages. Moving the highlight via the directional pad is perfectly smooth and consistent unlike the scroll wheel which I'll probably just disable in this case.) Initially the highlight will not be displayed on the page. Using the directional pad/scroll wheel will then display the highlight on the page in its starting position based on the direction invoked. Pressing the Power hard button at any time will remove the highlight from the page if present. If the highlight is not present pressing the Power hard button (which I use as the Home button) will take you to my Activities page instead. Of course the entire activity can be navigated solely by touching the screen if you wish. While browsing the DVD cover image pages I also track what letter you are currently under for later recall by the Index page. For example, lets say you chose the letter "A". You are then taken to DVD cover image page, A1. Now lets say you paged from A1 all the way down to page, C4. Going back to the Index page at that point the letter "C" would be highlighted as that's the letter you had come from. In fact, I track the DVD cover image highlight as well. It's tracked independently at all three levels where used, those levels being the main DVD cover image pages, title selection and disc selection pages. This provides for an optimal experience when using the selection mechanism to navigate the interface versus tapping the screen. I should also point out that both navigation methods work in tandem as well. If a given DVD cover image is highlighted for instance, tapping a different DVD cover image on-screen will always result in the highlight moving to that position, then selecting it. If the highlight is not present on-screen this will remain to be the case until the directional pad/scroll wheel are used. So with this latest enhancement my entire DVD Juke activity can now be navigated (Pic1, Pic2, Pic 3) without having to touch the screen.

I also added one other cool enhancement. In the event a disc is selected and the particular changer still needs powered on the following prompt is displayed stating that the disc can't be loaded. You then have the opportunity to run the activity macro or continue browsing. Well prior if you chose to run the activity macro you'd always end up back on the Main Menu page. You then had to browse to the particular disc all over again. This is no longer the case however, as you are now taken back to the specific disc confirmation page you had come from once the activity macro finishes running. This allows you to simply select the disc a second time at that point which on the second attempt is queued up successfully along with the rest of your system. I cover how I accomplished this in detail per the below.

*Updated on 11/29/2010*
Updated my PackAndGo file again today. Improved how I was implementing the above. To return the user back to the disc confirmation page they had come from I'm simply using the Browse Backward special action. From the time the user selects the disc to be played to the completion of the activity macro 7 page jumps occur. The first page jump takes the user to the device/page which tells them the disc can't be loaded. Choosing yes at that point and running the activity macro results in 6 loading pages being displayed making 7 page jumps total. As such, I simply added 7 Browse Backward special actions to the end of the activity macro used in this case which in effect takes the user all the way back to the disc confirmation page they had come from. Fortunately the browse backwards stack holds the last 9 pages displayed on the remote, so needing to browse backwards 7 times did not present an issue. Now here's the catch. Browsing backwards 7 times after the last of the loading pages is displayed is all well and good, but I didn't want anything graphically to change on-screen during this time. I wanted it to appear to the end user as if they were going straight from the last loading page to the disc confirmation page they had come from. I created this illusion via the use of ProntoScript of course. I simply set a global variable just prior to the activity macro being executed. Initially the value is undefined. If the value is undefined the graphics/text for each loading page is displayed as one would normally expect. Once reaching the last loading page (which is prior to the browse backward special actions taking place) I change the value of the global variable to "Backward". If the value is set to "Backward" each loading page is set to appear identical to the last loading page including the device/page containing the initial page prompt. This in turn provides the illusion to the end user that they are being taken directly from the last loading page to the disc confirmation page they had come from with no stops in between. Once back at the disc confirmation page the global variable is set back to 'undefined'. Gotta love ProntoScript! Can't say I miss the ProntoNG days. Pretty cool to browse backwards 7 times at the end of a macro sequence and have the end user be non the wiser. :-) In fact, I've since implemented the same technique for the other DVD Juke activity macros I have in place, those which can potentially be run from the Activities page and DVD Juke Menu page. In these cases however, it's simply to prevent the user from inadvertently browsing backwards from the Main Menu page to the last of the loading pages via Firm1 (set to Browse Backward) once initially taken to the activity.

Last edited by Lowpro on August 22, 2013 22:35.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse