I moved this from the professional Forum, where I posted by mistake. Hope someone here will help as this seems more appropriate.
Hi. I am new here. I find the wealth of choices overwhelming. Don't want to spend more than I need to; willing to spend enough to get something decent.
MY NEEDS I have
1) Onkyo amp TX SA 505, which is a Japan only model. I use its remotes to control these functions: ON/OFF, Switch input between Apple TV, DVD, Fiber Optic TV tuner
I also use the same remote to control the DVD (#3)
2) Sharp Aquos LC 32GD6 TV I use its remote to control screen size. Otherwise use # 4 remote to control TV and #4. (I do not use the volume on the TV, I only switch between the inputs.)
3) Onkyo DVD player DV SP504 I use #1 remote to control play and stop, to select audio modes, and to se;ect some menu settings.
4) Japanese NTT Fiber Optic tuner I use its remote to control #2 and all the channel surfing, similar to Cable TV.
5) Apple TV (original version) I use its standard remote to control to control its functions
#3 MAY be an international model, #1 and 4 are Japanese models I think.
A remote that I like is only available in Japan--> [Link: en.amadana.com] I am awaiting word from the manufacturer if it has the ability t control these devices. I am guessing from the Japanese that it does not. It says it does not control home theaters (whatever that means) but only TV/VIDEO/DVD.
Meanwhile, I do not see Logitech's Harmony or URC 50 in Japan. I prefer a model that has English instructions since that is my native language. While model #s are different outside Japan, I wonder if a Harmony 700, URC 50 or others with a combination of presets and learning mode would work?
The biggest pain is to switch TV and audio inputs and so I like broad categories like WATCH TV that allow you to program the button pushes from multiple remotes for a single activity.
I also worry about any remote that is NOT rechargeable, since it would seem if I let the batteries run down, I would lose all my programming. I would prefer simple and intuitive in operation and wonder if anyone has any recommendations.
Models that we DO have in Japan are the following: Sony RM-PLZ510-D and numerous others from this company, various Audio technicas, and some offerings from a company called Evergreen EG-LR300, also EG-LR100 and EG-LR500F. If it is better to go with a Japan specific product, that would be great. But hope for an English manual as my wife runs away from anything technical and I am not much better.
I do not wish to spend more than 150 dollars.
Thank you very much in advance.
I wonder if it is possible to use a learning or universal remote to replace the Apple remote for the Apple TV AND if any of the learning remotes for teh IPAD are actually any good?