The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday September 18, 2010 at 15:32
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On September 18, 2010 at 10:22, cmo said...
Hi all,

I have an existing customer wanting to upgrade their 8 yr old Crestron system to a newer spec and some more toys.

I'll admit I'm a bit rusty on the latest Crestron as I haven't been involved with one for 3 or 4 years although I did originally do this one.

Customer has:

A loft hub with
CP2E processor
PAD8A + Sonance power amp
2 FM tuners
Connector bits and Accessories...

Boot room directly below which houses an Imerge 2 zone soundserver (to be removed)

1 cinema with CNX-RMC, one STXi-1700C wireless panel with STRFGWXI RF receiver (also controls a second room with a second STRGWXI)
(local Sat, Dvd, Av Receiver etc.)

2 rooms with CT1000

1 simple Tv room with CT1000, CNX-RMC and 1-way IR remote. (local Sat, Dvd, Av Receiver etc)

1 kitchen with TPS2000
1 Swimming pool complex with TPS2000 (speakers round pool etc)

A few other rooms with just Tvs.

There are various CAT5E cables distributed through out the building as well as the Crestnet.

After assessing what the client would like i.e. kids have ipods, Dvd server would be better, can we have a more stylish, easier to hold remote in the cinema room etc, add an outdoor zone next to kitchen.

My thoughts are:

Kaleidescape server in the loft or boot room with M500 player in the cinema room and M300 players at other key Tv rooms.

Add 3 Ipod docks - one to cinema, one to Boot room (next to kitchen) and one to somewhere in the pool complex.

Then comes the issue of remotes?

I was thinking of using TPMC-4XG or the larger TPMC-8X remotes in the TV and cinema room / second room, whilst retaining as much of the original in-wall touchpanels as possible.
The swimming pool complex currently suffers with too much direct sunlight - I haven't thought of a solution for that yet (there is CAT5E nearby).

My questions are:

Will these new remotes simply drop in place without too many issues?

Depeds on what remotes you decide to use. If you get a TPMC-3X or tpmc-8x then you use wi-fi so it doesnt matter what rf gateway you have. If you are fine with 1way remotes you could get a URC MX-900 that will communicate over the current rf gateway. I have had good luck with the tpmc-8x when using proper wi-fi gear.

The cost of 1 tpmc-8x would cover a new PRO2. I would do this and use iPad's instead of the tpmc-8x.

Will the new remotes make use of the CNXRMC processors to control local rooms?

CNXRMC's are still current room solution products and they will work fine.

Can I use Pakedge WAPs?

You can use any access points you want Pakedge and Ruckus are great choices when wi-fi touchscreens and remotes are involved.

Will all the old CT1000s and TPS2000 be ok with the new crestron ipod docks and possibly Kaleidescape (has to be local as there is no CAT5E video distribution in place at TV points).

The CT-1000's will work fine with the ipod docks and the kscape but your interface will be super tiny. Have your programmer handle kscape as a music player that functions similarly to the iPod and you should be fine.

Will the STRFGWXI RF receivers now be redundant and therefore should I be considering anything else to make use of them?

You could use 418 remotes from URC like the MX-900. This is an inexpensive way to add nice 1way remotes using the existing gateway.

Any thoughts / questions or general flaws in design much appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris.

Not sure about the kscape working with the CP2E. I am not a programmer and i dont know what the requirements are for kscape. You should call up crestron and kscape and ask some questions.

Finally.. based on your questions it sounds like your in need of a good programmer/consultant. Find someone to help you design this system so that it works and works well without wasted $ going the wrong direction. An example of inefficiency is having multiple remote/touchpanel models. This is something that a knowledgeable programmer/consultant will be able to help you with. It will save you and your client money and the finishes system will be twice as good at the end.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse