Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday September 10, 2010 at 16:23
3FG
Select Member
August 2009
dann11,
I assume that you want to be able to select among the HDMI inputs and various outputs, and to be able send commands like "GUI mode", etc. Sony universals (and most other universals) can only send these functions if the original remote exists to teach the commands to the universal.

However, the remotes I recommended above (RCA RCRP05B, and OneForAll URC-8820N, both made by UEI) can be programmed on each button to send the needed IR signals. You can then use the UEI-manufactured remote directly, or if you prefer the VLZ620, it can be taught from the UEI remote. Note, however, that some VLZ620 remotes don't appear to learn correctly.

Many of the functions that are used in a receiver don't have corresponding button labels.  For example, no universal will have a button labeled "GUI mode".  So you'll need to identify mnemonic choices for the unusual buttons, or maintain a "cheat" sheet.  I personally find that I actually use very few functions on a receiver, once it is setup to my liking. It may also make sense to use macros to send a sequence of commands to setup the receiver and TV or BluRay player.

The UEI remotes will use setup code Audio 2172, and of course functions like volume, mute, power, etc. will work out of the box.  The specialty functions will need be programmed (by you) by assigning  5 digit "EFCs" to the buttons you've chosen.  Here are the known Sony functions for receivers.

If you choose to take this approach, I will post the procedure for assigning EFCs.  I'll also convert the Sony function numbers into the necessary 5 digit EFCs, and post then here.

Hosting Services by ipHouse