The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday September 10, 2010 at 12:25
Impaqt
RC Moderator
October 2002
On September 9, 2010 at 23:12, connectedhomenc said...
I completely agree that for those upper end, multi room systems, Elan G!, etc. is the way to go, but I'm thinking on a completely different price point here. The remote PC software is a one time fee ($750 for a lifetime license, unlimited number of clients). I'm thinking maybe a $300 PC (I'm sure I can even find something rack mountable or just very compact), a global cache is between $150-$300, and a couple $50 webcams (or cheaper). I'm hoping I can find some free software for the basic functions of the Global Cache (if it doesn't already come with it). So for around $600 I could offer customers the convenience of remote support. By the way, I live at the beach, and there are a lot of customers here with rental houses. Renters always screw things up and press the wrong buttons.

How do you screw up a system by "Pressing the wrong button"?

seriously, you seem to be going about this backwards.

if you have buttons on your remotes that screw up the system, perhaps you should not put those on the remote.

Universal remotes/Control systems should be able to "Self Heal" a system. Discrete power commands, Discrete Input Commands are critical of course. Or some sort of monitoring/Feedback.

Being able to VPN into a system doesnt do you any good if the Network connection on the device is locked up.

the global cache concept is interesting, but what if the network is what locks up? THATS why the bluebolt and other Power controllers are such a good idea. If they find they cannot get out to the internet for some reason, it resets itself.

you seem to think that for $1000 or so you can set up some grand internet monitoring and control service for your clients..... If you pursue that route, I wish you luck. You seem to be completely ignoring the cost of your time here. If you are bored, perhaps it can pay out in the end, but if your time is valuable, there are solutions out there that already work.

Hosting Services by ipHouse