The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Thursday September 9, 2010 at 22:23
rfdude
Long Time Member
March 2008
Is your amplifier in the house rather than up the tower at the antenna? A preamp at the antenna would work better since the gain of that amplifier is ahead of the coax losses down your tower and to the TV.

It may be that the amplifier is overloading your TV tuner. You can try without the amplifier and see if you get Global and Sun HD. Know that both of these are still transmiting lower power than they should be when Analog is shut down.

The other way to deal with too much gain is to install a 4-way splitter. I have a preamp at the antenna, necessary since there are three TV's in the house. With only one TV hooked up to the preamp'ed (20dB) antenna, I loose half the channels. With the 4-way splitter (7 dB loss) all is well. Still, due to the 3 dB of noise that the preamp adds, there is some degradation over no preamp. One TV only, good RG6 coax and no preamp does the best job at my home for those marginal stations.

RG6 is about $6 for 100' at the electronic stores at Matheson / Dixie. There are no less than 4 stores there selling OTA equipment.

I live close to you but along HWY 27. You can probably get rid of your CH5 and 9 filters if you aim your antenna directly at Buffalo or a bit more west. That will effectively reduce the strength from the CN TWR while maximizing Buffalo. You will also get CHCH Hamilton all with only one azimuth.

Hope this helps.
rfdude

Hosting Services by ipHouse