Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday July 21, 2010 at 23:53
gopronto
April 2008
Please feel free to add to this thread, as most of the problems i come across are due to network issues and not the Pronto.

First check the following:-

1,The Prontos and RFX's have the most uptodate firmware, and your using the current version of PEP.

2, The Wireless Access Points/wireless routers are of good quality or on the recomended Pronto list under the FAQ's

3, The AP's have a unique IP address on the net work and only one device should have the DHCP enabled!

4, Make sure if you are using DHCP that the lease time is set to 3weeks, so if you go on a 2 week holiday you wont get any clashies :)

4a. If using DHCP, check the DHCP range on your router and ensure that no equipment on your network is configured for a static IP address in this range.

Most Linksys routers reserve 50 addresses (192.168.1.100-149) for DHCP. One common error is to configure equipment with static IP addresses such that the static IP address is assigned in this range (192.168.1.101, for example).

Doing this can lead to problems when network drops or router is rebooted. DHCP-based devices will renegotiate their IP addresses and if it so happens that they negotiate and lock in an IP address that is used by other static-IP Address-based equipment before the equipment with static IP address reboots/reconnects, the equipment with static IP address will fail to work.

5,Wireless encryption , WEP 64 ,128 , NONE or WPA or MAC address, Start with None! then at least you will know that its working first, then chose the type you want.

6, Wireless Channel number, fist get you self an application to run on your laptop to see what other devices near by are using, i use WiFi spy 2.4x this works very well. Then pick your channel numbers with little or no interferance, if your using more than one access point try to keep the overlap of the signal strength to a minimum and set to to diferent channels at least 5 apart.

7, Read this page of FAQ's on the philips site [Link: pronto.philips.com]

8, If you are using Fixed IP address make sure they are outside the DHCP range!

9, Make sure the SSID is easy to remember , i had an installer call me because he couldn't get his Pronto to connect to the network, i wasn't surprised with an SSID like this " tHe Big_Apple Never r0Ts", it took the installer 3 hours to get it right , use all upper or lower case and spaces or under scores.

10, Make a list of all the devices and there IP address on the network, it will help!

11, Make sure your access point is set to "G" or "B, G" only!

12, Look for help on the "Ping" function on Google, you should get results <23ms from the Pronts, if you can not ping them they are either "asleep" or not connected to the network.

13, IP ranges, Make sure all the devices are in the same IP range e.g 192.168.1.XXX,

14,Use the Diagnostic page with in the TSU , key press "Backlight + Menu + 2nd hard key" this will also show you the IP address of the TSU.

15, If all that fails post on Remote central :)

LRM - Mod Edit - Added 4a which is an error that novice network admins commonly make.

Last edited by Lyndel McGee (moderator) on July 22, 2010 20:05.
Pronto still one of the best Wi-Fi Remotes,
www.ikonavs.co.nz and [Link: axiumcontrol.com] Axium Control

Hosting Services by ipHouse