The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday July 16, 2010 at 08:13
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
On July 16, 2010 at 06:22, pnnielsen said...
Great, that answers all my questions. Thanks Lyndel! Now I fully understand what can be done. Converting the object to a string (isn't this called serializing?) makes perfect sense!

Serializing/Deserializing
I have the 1.3.9 dev. guide (is there a newer one?) and I have read those sections. The dev guide does not seem to directly touch the topic I brought up here though.

Your topic is somewhat discussed in Section 6.2.3 (I still use early draft version so section # may not be correct), specifically in the section Levels, scope, and lifetime. The 'Global' scope was added as a mechanism to load common scripts prior to creating the Activity scope simply as a convenience. All scopes are destroyed upon exiting an activity and only System Globals persist across activities.

There was an older Dev Guide (Previous firmware) that had a different style of presenting the scope topic and would have also been more illustrative with regard to background/history of what was available before Global. However, upon further review, it is no longer available in the Files section.
Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by Lyndel McGee on July 16, 2010 08:43.
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse