The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Tuesday July 13, 2010 at 03:47
xtra_222
Long Time Member
February 2005
On June 4, 2010 at 00:03, tgav8rs said...
The issue is Windows 7 64 bit. If you use the 32 bit it works just fine. The problem is that the majority of the computers being sold have the 64 bit in them not the 32. The big issue is that there is little to no support from any software company for the 64 bit version, URC or not. So blaming URC for issues caused by a change by the OS manufacturer is absurd.

We use the 32 bit version of Windows 7 with no issues.

I partly agree that Win7 64 bit has presented some issues. However, I disagree that URC cannot be blamed.

Before Win7, URC had issues with loading a MSC-400 and an MX-880 with good ol' XP. At the time they hadn't even released all the software for the 880 but were selling combo deals of both units.

One laptop programmed the both devices while another was needed to download. Then, that other unit wasn't able to perform other functions that the other could. Both with XP, and could program RTI just fine...very weird.

Isolated case? Maybe, but while at the next URC class, we described our issue with the trainer. He claimed to have some knowledge of our issues and said it sounded like it might be a USB controller issues. This issue he knew was related to problems with earlier USB chipsets. Said we could remedy with an external PCMCIA USB controller that wouldn't rely on older internal USB controller.

But still, the problem never existed with MX-700's, 800's, 900's and 950's. And, that brings up another real big pisser, why does URC no longer support Win7 and programming the MX-950?? They support the older units...what gives.

Besides, Microsoft has developer conferences that URC should be attending to remedy any issues that exist, especially WIN7-64bit problems. Otherwise, publish a white paper stating reasons the MX-950 cannot be supported.

And tonight, I'm back with a new client who purchased a home with an existing MX-980. The time I've spent in the forums researching my WIN7 issues with communicating with the device, I could have written the file for a T2-C and been done. And, it's still not communicating. Besides, RTI's architecture is much more robust...period.

Yes, the MX-800 and 900 have been pretty much good remotes over time. But after the refusal of URC to support the MX-950 with WIN7 drivers, and several other URC incidents, I've given up on gambling with their remotes.

No need to support a manufacturer that still misrepresents itself.

~~

Hosting Services by ipHouse