The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 95 made on Tuesday June 15, 2010 at 13:13
crosen
April 2009
On June 15, 2010 at 11:07, BobL said...
The repeater does re-transmit it effectively making a separate communication with the display but authentication/ encryption is set by the source.

I believe you are mistaken here about the encryption being set by the source. In the transmission from the AVR to the display, it is set by the AVR (or more precisely, the encryption key is derived from the KSV of the AVR along with the key sets of the AVR and/or the display.)

This is discussed in the HDCP white paper that you previously referred me to:

[Link: crestron.com]

All this information is under it is nice to know but how does it help the installer or home owner diagnose a problem with their system?

I tried explaining this in post 71 and elsewhere. Perhaps you would find Phil's example of this more compelling from post 89:

On June 15, 2010 at 00:57, phil said...
If the above were true then when the cable box direct to the TV was good but bad when run thru the AVR it would indicate a problem with the AVR or the 2nd HDMI cable. The cumulative cable/connector db loss would be restored somewhat by the AVR if it is a restorer.

If, as many here have stated, the data from the cable box goes thru the AVR untouched (unrestored) it would complicate troubleshooting an HDMI problem.
If it's not simple, it's not sufficiently advanced.

Hosting Services by ipHouse