The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Friday June 11, 2010 at 23:27
Brentm
Ethereal Home Theater
July 2003
On June 11, 2010 at 23:17, crosen said...
You are making it sound as though the video signal just passes through with only the audio and OSD being processed. However, the TDMS channels have all of this data (i.e. audio, original video, OSD, etc.) mixed together in a brand new stream that is re-encrypted with a new key, right? So, there is no actual bits in the original signal that just pass through the AVR, right? What goes downstream from the AVR is an entirely new bitstream - it has to be, since it is encrypted with a new key. What am I missing, here?

There is no new key.
The key is from the source.
AVR's are not considered a sink (they can only extract audio not video) or a true source, analog up converted data is just another input to the HDMI switch (and yes I know that basic EDID is added by the I/P digital converter) .
The OSD is a non-secured (by DCP) overlay.
With an AVR it is garbage in, garbage out.
Also note that signal loss (by connector count and wire distance) is not the only issue here.
Circuit board design (and build quality) are very critical to minimizing loss (or adding to it).
AVR's tend to catch the most blame when things don't work, what you should be looking at is the source.
The source sets the signal level standard for the system, more is ALWAYS better (at least in reference to this, it is possible to overdrive HDMI).
Brent McCall
Paid Endorser for;
Ethereal (386) 846-7264 Cell

Hosting Services by ipHouse