Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Thursday June 3, 2010 at 20:26
yardbird
July 2005
What you're going through is what switched me to Linux in 2005. I'm not a linux weeny (honest), and I promote using the tools that work for you. However I have a LOT of folks now using linux who also NEED a windows version available for some things linux just won't run (myself included). Linux as main OS for browsing with windows in a VirtualBox for those windows-only apps.

You could do the same thing with a Mac and Fusion with a Windows install inside that. I work in IT at a large university. I am honestly not promoting one OS over another. "Use what works" is important. I AM, however, offering a suggestion for keeping an OS that is prone to all sorts of nasty crap available by running it virtually and having the ability to revert to an original "snapshot" if it gets snotted up. Your files created in Windows can be saved to a safe location that is not within the windows virtual machine. Linux has an antivirus called ClamAV that basically exists to scan windows partitions (file systems).

Your Windows programs *might* also run under WINE in Linux which means no virtual machine needed. Most of your specialty programming applications are not likely to have been even tested under WINE. If you'd like I can test them for you and will promptly destroy any copy sent to me when testing is complete.

You have options. You don't NEED to abandon your Windows programs entirely and I strongly suspect that in many cases you can't. You CAN begin exploring other means to continue using them without wasting a lot of time fixing the OS they're running on.
Panasonic TH42PX60U, Yamaha RX-V667, DirecTV HR24, Sony DVP-NC80V, URC MX-980, PSX-2

Hosting Services by ipHouse