The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday May 19, 2010 at 23:24
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
Contact the cable company to see what they offer for condo/apartment complexes that require a "lobby watch" channel. There should be some sort of route.

Some issues to consider:

1) Digital modulation - even if you can find a random QAM modulator, the cable company's cable boxes will NOT tune it. QAM-enabled televisions would, though.

2) Lack of free channels - most digital cable systems use every single available channel, which means you need a device to clear off a channel before you could inject anything back in. Doing that will of course remove some channels, either a single analog or multiple digital.

3) If you go the analog route - do the client's digital cable boxes even tune in analog channels? I know where I am there are like 60 analog channels in the system, but the cable company's cable boxes only tune in digital versions of them. So replacing analog channel 5 has no impact on what shows up as digital channel 5, and there's absolutely no way to see the analog version with the box.

I have all the official equipment necessary to do this in my house for digital cable - it involves a device to strip off digital channel 59 (which is occupied with some foreign digital channels), an analog modulator to create a new analog 59, and a combiner to merge it all together. On the digital cable boxes this shows up magically as channel 999 "Lobby Watch", however it ONLY works if the box supports analog tuning.

Hosting Services by ipHouse