Philips Pronto NG Family Forum - View Post
Previous section Next section Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Topic:
switch from TSU-7500 to Harmony 1100?
This thread has 7 replies. Displaying all posts.
Post 1 made on Friday August 20, 2010 at 16:55
jrubin
Long Time Member
February 2003
Trying to decide whether to replace my 7500 with the Logitech 1100...reviews seem to be good and looks like it is as customizable as the Pronto. What will I be giving up?
Post 2 made on Friday August 20, 2010 at 18:48
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
No idea but the 7500 is an NG remote and your post might be better served in the Next Generation (NG Forum). Want me to move it?
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester
OP | Post 3 made on Friday August 20, 2010 at 21:33
jrubin
Long Time Member
February 2003
please do--sorry about that
Post 4 made on Saturday August 21, 2010 at 06:00
buzz
May 2003
I'm beginning a project to replace a Harmony with a TSU9400. The Harmony will be reprogramed and moved to another room. The current Harmony program is unbelievably poor. I don't know (yet) if this is simply the case of an inept programmer or that the default programs generated by the online tools yield results that (in my and my customer's opinion) are poor or that the remote does not have much capability. Hopefully, my Harmony results will be better than the original programmer.

At the moment, I'm thinking that the original programmer was inept because there are a LOT of unfortunate little details about this installation. I'm not sure if the installer was mostly inept or if the customer had too much help by well meaning "expert" friends.

What are your expectations? What features will a new remote provide that your 7500 does not provide?
OP | Post 5 made on Saturday August 21, 2010 at 09:58
jrubin
Long Time Member
February 2003
I've been totally happy with the 7500's capabilities but a couple of the hard buttons are not working properly. I can get the Harmony 1100 from Amazon for about $250 after rebate. Not sure if I'd be sacrificing the capability and customizability I've gotten used to, though.
Post 6 made on Monday August 23, 2010 at 18:52
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
If that Harmony is the one with the touch-screen, I think they allow you to create activity based configs with built-in device types. Not sure if they are as free-form as would be a pronto.

If it were me, I'd try cleaning the hard button pads with deionized water or possibly alcohol and a q-tip. However, if it is the spring-loaded metal that has gone, the only fix is to replace the EL unit in the remote as it has the metal tabs "welded" to it.

If that fails, I'd try to pick up a used one on ebay. I've never owned a harmony but did have the opportunity to test 2 "configurable" remotes from Sony a few years back and I can tell you that they were not anywhere close to the flexibility you have with the Pronto and the software was pretty much cookie-cutter in that you had specific slots for specific devices. I am sure harmony must be a bit more flexible but not sure just how much.

If in the states, you might give O1R (OnlyOneRemote.com) a call and see if they have an opinion on the Harmony as well.

Lyndel
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester
Post 7 made on Sunday August 29, 2010 at 10:57
buzz
May 2003
A follow up.

The customer is gloriously happy with the TSU9400 and we are now discussing the practicality of flying me to his winter home to straighten out that system.

Now that I've "had my way" with the 1100, I felt more like it had its way with me. It is certainly quick and easy to program (about an hour), but my results were no better than the original programmer. I could have added or removed a few buttons here 'n there, but the navigation possibilities are what they are.

Maybe, I'll take another stab at programming the 1100, but I am not optimistic that I'll get decent results.

I'm sure that the 1100 is great for the DIY's who want something inexpensive, but I'm reminded of a pair of speakers that I built from scratch as a teen. Of course they were wonderful at the time and I was so proud and I saved so much money. Years later, after I experienced a few world class speakers, "horrible" would be the kindest, most printable word I can use to describe those speakers.
Post 8 made on Sunday August 29, 2010 at 12:23
rsblaski
Long Time Member
November 2002
On August 23, 2010 at 18:52, Lyndel McGee said...
|| If it were me, I'd try cleaning the hard button pads with deionized water or possibly alcohol and a q-tip. However, if it is the spring-loaded metal that has gone, the only fix is to replace the EL unit in the remote as it has the metal tabs "welded" to it.
Lyndel

Lindel,
You refer to an "EL" unit. I have a problem with one of my buttons (one of the four under the screen) which has lost its "spring".
Can you tell me where or if I can get an "EL" if that's what is needed? BTW, I have a TSU 7500.

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse